Baked Cauliflower Gratin with Sopressata
This healthier alternative to a classic potato gratin is sure to satisfy friends and family.
- 6 cups (1.5 L) cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded aged white Cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg (125 g) Mastro® Sopressata, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish.
- In large pot of salted boiling water, cook cauliflower for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; add flour and stir vigorously. Slowly pour in milk, whisking continuously, until mixture comes to boil; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and thickened. Add pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar cheese, sopressata and cauliflower.
- Scrape cauliflower mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs; bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling.
- Tip: Substitute broccoli for cauliflower if desired.