Chicken Cacciatore with Red Wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Mastro® Olive Oil
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) Mastro® Pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 oz (250 g) button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) red wine
- 1 jar (680 mL) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in large, straight-sided skillet set over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook chicken, turning halfway, for about 12 minutes or until browned on both sides. Transfer to plate using slotted spoon.
- Add pancetta, onion, carrots and celery to skillet; cook for about 10 minutes or until pancetta is crisp. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add wine; simmer, scraping up any browned bits, for about 2 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to boil. Return chicken to skillet, along with any accumulated juices. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes or until chicken is very tender. Uncover and simmer for about 8 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Tip: Serve over hot cooked noodles, creamy polenta, or spaghetti squash for a lower-carb and gluten-free option.