Fennel and Prosciutto Bites
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped black olives
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 12 slices San Daniele® Prosciutto
- Remove fennel fronds from bulb; chop and set aside. Trim top and bottom of bulb; separate layers, discarding outer layer. Cut each layer into 1-inch (2.5 cm) wide wedges.
- Fold together ricotta, basil, olives, chives, orange zest, salt and pepper; dollop onto each fennel wedge. Sprinkle with reserved fennel fronds.
- Cut each slice of prosciutto in half lengthwise. Drape gently over ricotta mixture and fennel fronds. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Transform these bites from a simple snack to haute hors d'oeuvres by garnishing each wedge with a small basil leaf, orange segment and toasted pine nuts.