Ham and Basil Polenta Loaf with Asiago Cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) medium-grind cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 4 oz (125 g) Mastro® Blood Orange Oven Roasted Ham, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Grease 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan.
- In bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In separate large bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and melted butter until sugar is dissolved; stir in cornmeal mixture just until moistened. Stir in ham, Asiago and basil just until combined. Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
- Tip: Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted hazelnuts along with the ham for some added crunch.