Italian Hero Sandwich with Caponata
This hearty meal-size sandwich gets a kick from the sweet and savoury addition of Sicilian-style caponata.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Mastro® olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) diced eggplant
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) golden raisins
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Mastro® balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 ciabatta buns, split
- 1 pkg (150 g) Mastro® Genoa Salami
- 1 pkg (125 g) Mastro® Traditional Sopressata Salami
- 1 pkg (125 g) San Daniele® Prosciutto
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby arugula
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook eggplant, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Toss with red peppers, raisins, balsamic vinegar, capers, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and pepper.
- Spread caponata over bottom halves of buns. Layer salami, sopressata, prosciutto, provolone and arugula over top. Cap with top half of buns.
- Tip: Spread a little garlic mayonnaise on the buns if desired.