Potato, Mortadella and Red Pepper Croquettes
With a crispy coating and tasty filling, these delectable croquettes transform mashed potatoes into an easy appetizer.
- 2 cups (500 mL) leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped San Daniele® Mortadella
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, 1 egg, 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in mortadella, cheese and roasted red pepper. Divide into 12 portions and shape into logs.
- Place remaining flour, remaining eggs and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes; whisk eggs.
- Dredge croquettes in flour, then dip into eggs, then coat in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook croquettes for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown all over. Transfer to paper towel–lined tray to drain excess oil. Arrange on serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.
- Tip: Serve with warm marinara sauce or basil pesto for dipping.