Prosciutto and Eggplant Rolls with Olive Pesto and Mozzarella
This is an easy yet impressive appetizer. Make it ahead and it’s ready to serve when guests arrive.
- 1 small eggplant (about 12 oz/340 g)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Mastro® Olive Oil (approx.)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) prepared black or green olive pesto
- 1 pkg (125 g) San Daniele® Smoked Prosciutto
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz (250 g) fresh mozzarella, sliced into 10 pieces
- Trim top and bottom of eggplant to create flat ends. Trim about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from each side. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 10 slices about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick. Heat some of the oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook eggplant, in batches, for about 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; let cool.
- Lay eggplant slices on work surface. Spread evenly with olive pesto. Fold prosciutto slices to fit width of eggplant and place over top.
- Place basil leaves and mozzarella slices evenly down along centre of eggplant. Roll up eggplant. Secure with toothpick for serving.
- Tip: Serve with warmed marinara sauce or hummus for dipping.