Mussels with Saffron and Salametti
- 2 lb (1 kg) mussels
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Mastro® Olive Oil, divided
- 4 oz (125 g) Mastro® Salametti, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) torn fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- Ciabatta baguette, halved lengthwise
- Discard any mussels with broken or chipped shells, and any that do not close when tapped. Scrub shells with sturdy brush; remove and discard beards.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook salametti, shallots and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in wine and saffron; simmer for about 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Increase heat to high. Add mussels; cover with tight-fitting lid. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussels have opened (discard any that remain closed). Stir in basil and butter. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, brush remaining oil over cut sides of ciabatta. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Tear into pieces and serve with mussels.
- Tip: For authentic garlic bread, rub the cut side of a halved garlic clove over bread immediately after removing the bread from the oven.
Products used in this Recipe
Creamy Penne with Mushrooms and PancettaView Recipe
Charcuterie Potato RöstiView Recipe
Holiday Grazing Board by Mastro® San Daniele® and McCain®View Recipe