Ricotta Toasts with Caramelized Brussels Sprouts and Prosciutto
Grilled sourdough is topped with creamy whipped ricotta, sautéed shredded Brussels sprouts and rich prosciutto for a toast that’s simple to prepare but complex in flavour.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices San Daniele® Prosciutto
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- In food processor, mix together ricotta, lemon juice, chili flakes, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper for 1 to 2 minutes or until very smooth; refrigerate until needed.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook Brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden, tender and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of bread with remaining oil; grill for 30 to 60 seconds per side or until lightly charred and toasted.
- Spread each toast with ricotta mixture. Top with Brussels sprouts mixture and prosciutto. Sprinkle with pine nuts and drizzle with honey.
- Tip: The bread can also be toasted in an indoor grill pan or under the broiler.