Mediterranean Spanakopita with Kale and Pumpkin
This take on a classic Greek dish uses fall-inspired ingredients for a tasty variation.
- 1 pkg (150 g) of Mastro® and San Daniele® Charcuterie Trio Mediterranean Flavours
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) loosely packed chopped kale
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) oregano
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Chop salami with prosciutto and chorizo salami; set speck-smoked prosciutto aside for garnish. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook chopped charcuterie, kale, green onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes or until kale is very tender. Let cool completely. Squeeze out any excess moisture. Stir kale mixture with feta, pumpkin purée and eggs.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface; brush lightly with melted butter (keep remaining sheets covered with damp towel). Top with 2 sheets of phyllo, brushing each lightly with butter. Starting at one short side, cut into 5 long strips.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) filling onto 1 corner of end of strip nearest you, then fold corner of phyllo over to enclose filling and form triangle. Continue folding strip, maintaining triangle shape. Place pastry triangle, seam-side down on large parchment paper¬–lined baking sheet; brush top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes. Slice remaining speck-smoked prosciutto into strips; scatter over spanakopita.
- Tip: Substitute olive oil for melted butter if desired.
Products used in this Recipe
The Spirit of RacletteView Recipe
San Daniele® Prosciutto TartifletteView Recipe
Porchetta PoutineView Recipe