Butternut Squash Spaghetti & Capocollo Carbonara
This fun twist on a classic bacon and egg carbonara makes a nice dinner pasta that the whole family will love.
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped butternut squash
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 12 oz (375 g) spaghetti
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 pkg (125 g) Mastro® Capocollo, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook squash for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain well. In blender, purée squash, cream, broth, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt, and nutmeg until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook capocollo, onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until capocollo starts to brown and onion is slightly softened.
- Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid, squash mixture and remaining salt to skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until pasta is well coated. Stir in Parmesan, parsley and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Tips: Substitute chives for parsley if desired. Use gluten-free pasta if desired.
Products used in this Recipe
Mastro Hot Calabrese Mediterranean Sheet Pan Dinner with HalloumiView Recipe
Mastro Hot Genoa Salami Pizza DiabloView Recipe
Afternoon Charcuterie BoardView Recipe