Creamy Mushroom and Pancetta Linguine with Spinach
This quick pasta in a rich rosé sauce with flavourful mushrooms, pancetta and spinach makes a satisfying weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb (500 g) linguine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (250 g) Mastro® Pancetta, diced
- 8 oz (250 g) sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 4 cups (1 L) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed torn fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook pancetta for about 3 minutes or until fat starts to render. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or pancetta is crispy around edges and mushrooms start to brown.
- Pour in wine; bring to boil. Cook for about 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in tomato sauce and cream; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid and spinach to skillet; toss until spinach wilts and pasta is well coated. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan and basil.
- Tip: Substitute chicken broth and splash of lemon juice for white wine if desired.
- Tip: Add chicken, shrimp or chickpeas to pasta for more protein.