Scalloped Potatoes with Prosciutto Cotto
With three cheeses, prosciutto cotto and sautéed leeks, these decadent scalloped potatoes make a winning Spring side dish.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 4 tsp (20 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 5 lb (2.3 kg) yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pkg (250 g total) Mastro® Prosciutto Cotto
- 8 oz (250 g) brick-style plain cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Melt butter in skillet set over medium heat; cook leeks, thyme, garlic, and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until leeks are tender. Set aside.
- Layer one-third of the potato slices, overlapping slightly, in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper. Lay half of the prosciutto cotto over top. Dot with half of the cream cheese. Sprinkle with 1 cup (250 mL) Gruyère, 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan and half of the leeks. Pour half of the cream over top. Repeat layers.
- Layer remaining potatoes over top, pressing down to ensure they are immersed in liquid; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining Gruyère and Parmesan over top. Cover surface directly with parchment paper; cover pan with foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil and parchment paper. Increase oven to 425°F (220°C). Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly, potatoes are tender and top is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
- Tip#1: Substitute aged Cheddar or Swiss for Gruyère cheese if desired.
- Tip#2: For easy preparation, assemble the casserole, cover and refrigerate for up to one day.
Products used in this Recipe
Italian Hero Sandwich with CaponataView Recipe
Salami ChipsView Recipe
Spaetzle with Salami and Brussels SproutsView Recipe