Capocollo Monte Cristo Sandwiches
This Italian-style French toast sandwich is perfect as a quick lunch – but can also be served as a delicious breakfast on the go.
- 8 slices day-old Italian bread
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pkg (125 g) Mastro® Capocollo
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sliced, drained, jarred roasted red peppers
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- Top half of the bread slices with half of the mozzarella, capocollo, red peppers and remaining cheese. Cap with remaining bread slices.
- In shallow baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat half of the oil in large skillet set over medium-low heat; dip two sandwiches into egg mixture, coating completely.
- Cook for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches and oil. To serve, cut sandwiches in half and sprinkle with parsley.
- Tips: Substitute basil for parsley if desired. Serve sandwiches with olives on the side if desired. Add a pinch of hot pepper flakes for a spicy addition.