Creamy Penne with Mushrooms and Pancetta
Serve this comforting pasta dish with a simple green salad for the perfect weeknight dinner.
- 12 oz (350 g) penne pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 6 oz (170 g) Mastro® Pancetta, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne according to package directions. Reserve 1/3 cup (75 mL) pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook shallot for about 2 minutes or until softened. Add pancetta and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to skillet. Increase heat to medium-high; cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mushrooms are golden and no liquid remains. Add wine; simmer for about 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add cream, salt and pepper; simmer for about 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened slightly.
- Toss sauce with penne and reserved pasta water. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Tip: Use a mixture of cremini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms if desired.