Easy German Soft Pretzels with Salami
Using store-bought pizza dough makes these homemade pretzels studded with German salami fun and easy to prepare.
- 1 pkg (150 g) Mastro® German Salami, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) pizza dough
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) baking soda
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarse salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) German-style mustard, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450˚F (220˚C). Dice enough salami to make 1/2 cup (125 mL) cup; reserve remaining slices. On floured work surface, knead diced salami into dough. Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick ropes, about 20 inches (50 cm) long.
- For each pretzel, shape rope into “U” shape, with ends facing away from you. Twist ends of rope together once, then bring twisted end towards you and attach at base of the “U.”
- In large saucepan, bring 8 cups (2 L) water, baking soda and honey to boil. In batches, boil pretzels for about 1 minute or until puffed. Remove pretzels from saucepan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel–lined plate.
- Arrange boiled pretzels on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with reserved salami and mustard.
- Tip: Alternatively, shape into pretzel rods.
Products used in this Recipe
San Daniele Prosciutto and Sage Garlic BreadView Recipe
Mortadella and Pecorino BreadsticksView Recipe
Grilled Tomato and Arugula BruschettaView Recipe