Mediterranean Trio Crepes with Béchamel
Sure to please any brunch crowd, these decadent crepes are topped with a creamy béchamel sauce and filled with charcuterie and rich Gruyère cheese.
- 1 pkg (150 g) of Mastro® and San Daniele® Charcuterie Trio Mediterranean Flavours
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- Béchamel Sauce:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 3.25% homogenized milk
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Crepes: In blender, mix together milk, flour, eggs, butter, salt and sugar. Strain and let stand for at least 30 minutes. (Batter should be consistency of thick cream; stir in a bit of water to thin consistency if necessary.)
- Heat 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush skillet with some of the oil; pour scant 1/4 cupful (60 mL) batter into pan, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook for 60 to 90 seconds or until crepe begins to curl around edges. Flip over and cook for about 30 seconds or until set. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing with oil as needed. Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Béchamel Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour and nutmeg; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Keep hot.
- Meanwhile, spread 1/2 tsp (2 mL) mustard over each crepe. Fill each crepe with 2 tbsp (30 mL) Gruyère and slice of Speck Smoked Prosciutto, Salami with Prosciutto, and Chorizo Salami. Fold into quarters; arrange 2 crepes on each serving plate. Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with tarragon.
- Tip#1: If desired, arrange crepes in a large buttered baking dish. Spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle with additional Gruyère cheese and broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce bubbles.
- Tip#2: Crepes can be made ahead, then refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days before filling.
- Tip#3: For easy preparation, substitute store-bought crepes instead of making them.
Products used in this Recipe
Harvest Caesar Capocollo WrapsView Recipe
Mushroom and Pancetta Goat Cheese LogView Recipe
San Daniele® Prosciutto TartifletteView Recipe