Eggplant with Pomegranate and Pancetta
Sweet and salty flavours come together in this eggplant dish with pomegranate arils and pancetta, which is great served with warm pita bread.
- 1 large eggplant (1 lb/500 g), cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 6 oz (180 g) Mastro® Pancetta, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large bowl, toss eggplant with salt; mix well and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In large skillet, cook pancetta over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until edges are crispy; remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve skillet with drippings.
- Squeeze out liquid from eggplant. Add oil to reserved skillet; cook eggplant and onion over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes or until eggplant is golden and tender.
- Add garlic, cumin and paprika to skillet; cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Return pancetta to pan; toss well. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils and parsley.
- Tip: Serve with plain Greek yogurt.