Grilled Eggplant and Prosciutto Caprese Stacks
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Mastro® Olive Oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil leaves
- 12 oz (375 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- 1 pkg (125 g) sliced San Daniele® Prosciutto
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared balsamic reduction
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grates well. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil. Season all over with salt and pepper. Grill, turning as needed, for 10 to 12 minutes or until well marked and tender. Let cool slightly.
- Arrange eggplant on serving platter; top each slice with tomato, basil and mozzarella. Shape prosciutto slices into delicate mounds and divide evenly over each stack. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and remaining olive oil. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Add a kick of heat by adding pickled hot pepper rings to the stacks, or sprinkle eggplant with hot pepper flakes before grilling.