Mini Eggplant and Capocollo Rollatini
- 4 baby eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil (approx.)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 slices Mastro® Capocollo
- 1 cup (250 mL) marinara sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Season eggplant all over with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; in batches, cook eggplant, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towel–lined plate.
- Stir together ricotta, milk, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil and garlic until well combined. Cut each slice of capocollo in half; top each slice of eggplant with halved slice of capocollo and 1 tsp (5 mL) of ricotta mixture; roll into log. Arrange, seam side down, on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until eggplant is very tender and filling is heated through. Arrange on serving platter with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Tip: To make ahead, assemble roll-ups up to 24 hours in advance; cover and refrigerate. Bake just before serving.