Spicy Mortadella and Rapini Focaccia Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 bunch rapini, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 loaf rosemary focaccia (12 inch/30 cm), split in half and lightly toasted
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices San Daniele® Hot Mortadella
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pickled hot pepper rings
- Heat 1/4 cup (60 mL) oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook garlic and hot pepper flakes for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Add rapini, tossing to coat.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle remaining oil over cut halves of focaccia. Spread rapini evenly over bottom half of focaccia; top with provolone, mortadella and hot pepper rings. Cap with remaining focaccia. Cut into 4 portions. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Tip: Make this a gooey sandwich – top rapini with cheese, then broil until melted before adding mortadella and hot pepper rings.