Mussels with Saffron and Salametti
- 2 lb (1 kg) mussels
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Mastro® Olive Oil, divided
- 4 oz (125 g) Mastro® Salametti, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- Pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) torn fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- Ciabatta baguette, halved lengthwise
- Discard any mussels with broken or chipped shells, and any that do not close when tapped. Scrub shells with sturdy brush; remove and discard beards.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook salametti, shallots and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in wine and saffron; simmer for about 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Increase heat to high. Add mussels; cover with tight-fitting lid. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussels have opened (discard any that remain closed). Stir in basil and butter. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, brush remaining oil over cut sides of ciabatta. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Tear into pieces and serve with mussels.
- Tip: For authentic garlic bread, rub the cut side of a halved garlic clove over bread immediately after removing the bread from the oven.